Our time in Iceland – Family Travel

This past March I got on a plane with my husband, son, and my father. The purple aircraft was small, but well worth the coming experience. Months before, we found a deal for tickets to Iceland, and just like that, the country made it to the top of our travel list. I was nervous to fly, as I always am, but the excitement of the coming adventure got me to sit down on the plane. My son was over the moon excited- it was his first time flying!

We expected to sleep on our overnight travels. My son had different plans. He was too excited, and only closed his eyes for the last hour or so. We arrived at Keflavik airport in the early morning with tired eyes. We tried our best to drag our bags while holding our son, until a lovely person who worked there offered one of the airport’s strollers. I thanked them, put B in it, and we were off to find some Coffee.

There was fog outside in the parking lot. We walked around, looking for the license plate that matched the one on our paperwork. “Wow, you got the big car!” the woman had said to us, so we were looking for an SUV. We laughed when the smaller-than-my-forester car was parked in front of us, matching plates and all.




Breakfast in Reykjavik was incredible on that first day, then we explored the west coastline near the city until it was time to grocery shop and check into our cabin. As we drove, my son fell asleep in his carseat. We expected it, with the little sleep he got on the plane and the time zone difference. It was impossible to wake him, even when we saw some of the famous, Icelandic ponies!



The AirB&B cabin was the perfect place to hang our hats and rest. From every window we could see the beautiful, Icelandic landscape; mountains, Þingvallavatn (lake), and of course the intriguing and bouncy moss.

We went straight to seeing the sights. With only a week to spend and a long list of places to see, we couldn’t afford to wait. Rain was falling, but we didn’t want that to stop us. During our drive to the first stop, the rain fell away and made way for a rainbow over the road. I smiled as I watched us drive towards it, and took it as a sign of good things to come.

Strokkur, Geysir, and Gullfoss. Each site was incredible to view. The spray of Strokkur as it blasted from the earth, the deep color of the dormant Geysir, and the vast glory of Gullfoss had us in awe.





The following day we made our way south. Skogafoss was the main event on our minds, but we also thought about stopping at the black sand beaches afterwards. On the way, we found plenty of other things to see, and made quite a few stops.

Skogafoss was beautiful. It’s hard to describe the feeling of calm that washed over me as I listened to the water crashing into the rocks below. We approached it together, ultimately getting soaked by the spray.








After so much adventuring, it was time for a day to relax. We decided on the Secret Lagoon, over the more popular (but less natural) Blue Lagoon. The warm water led us all to a state of bliss. We waded and swam for hours.


The following day, my husband and my father decided to go on a walking glacier tour. B was too young, so he and I stayed at the cabin together. The boys had an incredible experience, while B and I played outside, watched movies, and had some time to lay down. That evening, when they returned from their tour, we went to the fault line in Þingvellir, where the continents are drifting apart.






It was time for another trip to Reykjavik. We needed to do a little laundry, as we packed pretty light, and Reykjavik had what was called the “Laundromat Cafe.” What we didn’t expect was the actual cafe on the top floor, with a Laundromat downstairs, and a large play area for kids. They served us our soy lattes while we watched our son play, and waited for our laundry to finish.

While we were in town, we decided to go to the Settlers Museum, which was about the vikings settling in Iceland. It was a fantastic learning stop, and B wanted to go around three times before going to the gift shop. He was excited to pick out a beautifully made, wooden sword and shield set. We watched as he played viking on the way back to the car, and only then did it occur to me that we may have an issue with our carry-on-only bags. Lesson learned. A $70-to-check-the-sword lesson to be exact.



Well worth it.

On our last full day we decided to climb Miðfell, The hill that was in view from the Cabin, that we had passed by each day on our way to sight-see. The view was beautiful, and B loved to bounce on the mossy hillside. The day ended with a walk along Þingvallavatn. I tried my best to soak up the scenery as much as I could. I knew it was going to be hard to leave this beautiful country.









Our time in Iceland was amazing. Beautiful sights during the day, and a dancing display of Auroras at night.


While it wasn’t originally a country we talked about visiting, I’m glad we did, and I would love to go back again and see more. The people were friendly, and there was so much to see and do. If you’re thinking of traveling somewhere as a family, give Iceland a try.




WOWAir | AirB&B


-Sarah Chase

PS: You may notice a different URL at the end of the video. Travel photography and vlogging is one of my many brands that I am bringing together under this site! Keep an eye out here on schasephoto.com for future travel posts. xo

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s